Friday, January 2, 2015

papaya banana yum yum useful.





I had a few papaya tree's fall over in a wind storm so I cut the trunks and pulled them up today. 


The root system. The roots are flexible and semi durable. If you have a longer one you could use it similar to a whip. I never got one to crack so it may be that it needs a string on the end. 

Banana fiber, this comes from the sides of the trunk. This fiber is very sturdy. I got a piece, doubled it, and was able to hang from it for a few moments before it broke. That's 200+ Lbs and it probably would have held decent if I hadn't put it over a 4'' by 4'' with sharp corners. I use this sometimes for lashing things together. 

The trunk of the Papaya tree. 

another view or 2 of the roots for you botany majors out there. 




This is from a banana tree, it's called "the eternal flower" because it keeps opening till it touches the ground. Some people eat banana flower (see youtube) but as for me I use it for training. 

The banana flower is a good tool to simulate a punch. It's good for getting tough. As the flower opens the purple petals can be used as paper plates or bowls. This saves me from having to do dishes so often. 

another update on that one banana tree. 


Papaya seems to grow as much as it can. This papaya tree got bent and it still grew. Chop em down, they will still grow. 

Banana fiber harvested from the sides of the tree. 

That one that snapped. 
Male papaya tree

The male papaya tree's don't give fruit, just the females. However if you cut a male in half it will grow back as a hermaphrodite. 

After trying one of the bananas  I grew one man exclaimed -"this is the best banana I have ever eaten!" A real live quote from this afternoon.  No really, check the pulse, the quote is alive! haha



These are the flowers within the flower. These would turn into bananas if the tree could support that many. 

The look of them reminds me of shrimp a bit. 







                                                        I ate some of these bananas just today.





Well I hope everyone is having a great new year so far. I think this year is going to be epic.

                                                          Word of Wisdom for today-
  If you love only your friends then your just like everyone else, so be unique and love your enemies also.


If you wish to donate to my garden project Click here!





No comments:

Post a Comment