Friday, January 16, 2015

this an that

wood sorrel 

Tart lemon like flavor, great in salad. Nitrogen fixer. Great all around addition. I've got a bit of this in the front lawn. I'm transplanting patches of it because it's a great green. . 



Had a few hippies come and stay with me for a few days. This is a spoon one of them was working on. 

You can make nearly anything you need. Nearly all supply line needs can be met in a garden.

Aloe, freshly harvested. This type of aloe is better for eating. Way less likely to give you the runs than other types of aloe. Aloe is one of the plants I've been playing with for years. It's got a lot of uses that I'm still discovering. Perhaps I'll do an all aloe post one day to share what I've learned from this plant. 

Zion one of the hippies dogs. Real mellow dog.

One of the hippies who stayed here wanted to make a car garden, this is the start of it. 

I'm not sure how it will do with the heat but time will tell. 

Had an oil spill over the summer thanks to someone who wasn't so careful when changing the oil of a car. This mushrooms color could be due to that spill. 

Some mushrooms on the same log were different in color. Mushrooms soak up a lot of toxins typically. It's a bad idea to harvest mushrooms near a road with heavy traffic or in areas with toxins. 

Papaya flower. They smell great. 

Goon goo peas aka pigeon peas. Staple of the Jamaicans. High yield. They nitrogen fix the soil when you cut them back I'm told.  

The flower.

better image of the flower. These plants are great to grow among your average garden fair. They tend to shade just enough to prevent the sun from scorching what you have. 

Some of the Luffa harvest. 

More of the Luffa harvest. A little more work and they will be ready for market. 

I use these in the shower, for dishes, and for general clean up. Some of my sponges got damaged due to the excess of rain but I use those for the "dirty tasks". I have things set up to grow 4 to 6 times the amount this year. Last year I harvested about 40 sponges. 



word of wisdom:
Use what you have, you may find that you really have no lack after.




No comments:

Post a Comment