Monday, January 12, 2015

I cook many of my meals in the crock pot. It's fast and easy to prepare a meal but the cooking can take half a day to a day. I use papaya leaf stems as a spoon.
The leaf stem tends to have a odd taste unless you wash it out good. I run hose water through it or a touch of lemon juice. They also make good chop sticks. 
With custom made spoons nearly every meal doing dishes is limited to washing the crock pot.
I'll show you what I use for plates/bowls next post perhaps.  
Oh and papaya leaf stems make great soup spoons because they have a built in straw.
The only down side is that if you leave one of these spoons in a hot meal for too long they tend to get soft. 
and you can make the handle fairly long if your inclined to amuse guests.
This is my current food mix. Black rice, brown rice, lentils, and split peas. This is the base for a lot of my meals. I tend to put a lot of my garden greens in with it. 
A better photo of what I call the cucumber plant. I should really try to figure out it's actual agreed on name. 
I don't speak Latin however and I'm guessing that few of you do. So long live "common names".
A hill being made. I put this one right in the path. A hill in the path causes people to pay more attention, at least down here where everyone is used to flat.
These hills are made of weeds, sticks, logs, sand, coffee grounds, 
and compost. Tissue paper, bills, cardboard, doesn't matter. I just avoid putting in things that don't break down.  Plastic and treated wood for example.
Some people call these hills Hugel mounds. 
Checkin in on that banana tree again.
The first leaf has a little rot damage, this is somewhat common for the first leaf when they re sprout. At least this has been my experience here. 
You can see how the new leaf starts twisted up. 
The top of a banana tree that I decided to use as a door stop. 

Word of wisdom for the day: 

 "So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them.  But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.  Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." ~ Christ




No comments:

Post a Comment