Sunday, January 11, 2015

this an that



Most of what you see here is a relative of Okinawa spinach, It's good eats! I have some cooking now with rice, split peas, and lentils. 

This little ground cover is real common here in Central FL.  It's considered a weed by many but as good as it is I'm not sure why. It has a nice look to it and tends to stay green. 

Taste like cucumber and is a great addition in salads. Unlike cucumber in salad this doesn't overpower the other flavors so much. I haven't tried pickling it yet but I may try that soon. 



That banana tree again

Good soil... but only a foot deep. It's good to dig all over your project just to find out what you have. This area was apparently used to get rid of excess fill dirt. It's got lots of gravel and cement chunks about a foot down.  I've dug out some of the poor soil and made "pillars" of compost. 

Sugar cane, Planted this in that area.


Sugar cane planted next to oak tends to grow poorly in my experience. 

Another view of that okra pod. 



Word of wisdom for the day. 
Try new food all the time. Life is short, why limit yourself to what your used to.

No comments:

Post a Comment