Sunday, December 28, 2014

Welcome to my epic garden

I garden, it's just one of many things I do. I've learned a good bit about plants and yet still know almost nothing. Plants keep me humble.  I am working to create a garden that reseeds itself. That has texture. That has produce.

This is a variety of Okinawan spinach. I put a hand made rope net over it for looks. 
This plant does well in shady areas and is a great way o fill spaces. It typically stays on the ground but if you put it next to something occasionally it will climb. I eat this in my eggs, soup, rice, beans, salads and raw as I feel inclined while walking in my garden. 



This banana tree fell down so I chopped it off about a foot off the ground. This is the new shoot starting to grow. Sometimes it's easier to chop the tree down the rest the way rather than correct a heavy lean. I use the trunk as a punching bag till it falls apart, then it gets used as mulch. True I may miss out or delay fruiting, but I have at least 5 other tree's with fruit on and next year looks to be at least double. 




Art, it's everywhere, you just gotta pick it up... which is why this is still here. After much digging, chopping, and a few good beers, this is ready to come out of the hole. The hole will then be made into a fish pond and the roots will be the backdrop to the fire pit stage area. I just need a bunch of folks to come help me lift. During the digging I spent one night sleeping under this tree. 

Scrub a dub dub, these green things here are LUFA!!,This is the kind of sponge sold worldwide for showering. When harvested a little early I find there is typically a lot of slime in these. My findings thus far show the slime to do something of benefit for the skin and hair.  One of my friends said it made her skin feel softer. Having only tested that aspect of the plant on 4 people so far I can't say for certain the slime will be good for everyone. I use these sponges for dishes, general cleaning, showers, and gifts. I also plan to sell them once I do the big harvest. 

False Turkey Tail 
I used to toss these logs in my old fish pond for 24 hours and then they would produce a lot of mushrooms. Sadly my fish pond sprung a leak and drained leaving my 30 or so Tilopia dead. Sad day but the banana tree's will "dig" the fertilizer. Moral of the story, plants grow, even through the lining of a pond, or in this case, above ground swimming pool.



One of my smaller banana trees. I typically trim off the yellow leaf and use it as mulch. 
This is a poor view of one of my classroom areas.

I do like having a lot of food next to my paths. It's nice to be able to munch on plants all day
Quality is better too. I have found a bit of a learning curve in eating healthy but I'm sorting that out. I just have to learn to prefer eating that way more and more. That is done by eating only healthy food when hungry. It helps to retrain the brain that healthy food is YUM YUM YUM.. 


This is... was, the tilopia pond. I had put a 55 gallon drum of garden weeds in the pond as a natural heater, however I was unable to see how well that worked as the leak occurred shortly after.


my word of wisdom for the day
Keep a good headspace, no need to worry about what might not happen at all. No need to get in or stay in a funk. If your in a funk go for a  long walk or work in your garden while meditating on what you have to be grateful for.





No comments:

Post a Comment