Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Pellitory of the wall. aka "cucumber plant"

The green leafs near the bottom of this pic are a "weed" that is rather common here in Central FL.
It's in the nettle family. 

Pellitory of the wall is it's name but I call it the cucumber plant due to is distinct cucumber taste.

I find this likes to grow near edges in particular. I often see it in sidewalk cracks and so on. It's a great food/medicine but it's reported to cause allergic reactions similar to a niacin flush.  I have yet to meet anyone with this reaction so I imagine it is mostly found in people who have lived a very unnatural life. I hear that if you have allergies to airborne type stuff then your more likely to have a reaction.
                               I eat this in my soups, salads, stir fry, and so on. It's a popular addition to salads in particular due to the cucumber flavor. It's not thick and overpowering like a regular cucumber which makes it less distracting from key flavors in your salad.



Medicine. This has been used medicinally for thousands of years. 
It's used as a diuretic. Said to be good for treating kidney stones and bladder issues. High in potassium and nitrates. Used to treat high blood pressure. 
It's also said to be good for treating chronic cough and wounds. 
I have no idea on any contraindications with medications and such. 


If you want to plant this in your yard (if you don't already have it) just pick a healthy looking plant that you see while out and about. If you look on the stem you will see what looks like spiky balls on the stem. These are soft and won't hurt you. I believe those are the seed pods but could be wrong. Either way, I just try to select a mature plant, pick it and immediately place it in a bag.  I then travel to the location where I want to plant it and dump it on the ground. I don't water it in, plant the roots, or anything like that. Used to try that but it doesn't transplant well. I've found that I have a very high success rate with simply tossing it on the ground where I want it.  A picked plant will often use the last of it's energy to finish developing the seed. 
Grows great in shade and prefers cooler weather. 



Reduce your impact - Every time you throw some of your food out, be it leftovers or stuff gone bad, chart it. Estimate how much cash you waste on food you don't even eat and donate that amount to a food charity. This is a great way to build mindfulness of your waste habits and help those without food also. 


Word of wisdom -
Do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Let the day's own trouble be sufficient for the day.  - Yeshua the Christ. 

Video of the day -

No comments:

Post a Comment